Today as I sat down to eat my lunch I was as usual, listening to the News when I heard the one word that made my eyes dart towards the TV.. FLU. Yes flu, in my house hold FLU= asthma attacks and hospital runs. The flu has been reported in 46 states, most of them in the southern part of the country, with 29 reporting “high activity.” Higher than normal rates have been reported in Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Illinois and Utah. Yes scary stuff. Watch out for symptoms that typically include rapid onset of fever, chills, headache and muscle ache. A runny nose, sore throat and cough often follow.
Here are a few tips to try steering away the flu
- Frequently wash hands
- Use hand sanitizers (provide your child with small ones that clip to the back pack)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth (Germs spread this way)
- Stay away from sick people
- Sneeze into the inside of your elbow
- Do not share cups with anyone
- Drink vitamin C daily (a big cup of orange juice on an empty stomach is good)
- Wipe down door knobs, remote control and everything that people touch frequently in your house with antibacterial wipes
- Keep Lysol handy
- Put a few drops of Clorox in your dish washing detergent
- Make sure to wipe down shopping carts
Hope everyone stays Flu Free this season!